The Forum for Corporate Directors (FCD) announced today the 2012 Director of the Year Honorees who will be recognized at the 17th Annual Director of the Year Awards and dinner on Thursday, March 1, 2012 at the Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. Jim McCluney, chief executive officer and board member of Emulex Corporation, is the special guest host for the evening.
According to John Della Grotta, chair of FCD and a partner at Paul Hastings LLP, FCD has established a tradition of recognizing directors who have helped influence and guide companies and organizations to achieve growth and corporate excellence while maximizing market valuation. During these 17 years, 94 individuals have been honored by the organization. The six individuals and the award categories for which each is being recognized in 2012 are:
• Maurice (Maury) DeWald – Corporate Governance. Mr. DeWald is chairman and chief executive officer of Verity Financial Group, Inc., an advisory firm which develops and implements private investment opportunities and is a retired managing partner of KPMG LLP. He is chairman of the board of Integrated Healthcare Holdings, Inc.; chairman of the board of Targeted Medical Pharma, Inc.; and serves on the board of Healthcare Trust of America, Inc. He also serves on the Business Advisory Council of the University of Notre Dame.
• Robert Ingram – Lifetime Achievement Award. Mr. Ingram is a general partner in Hatteras Venture Partners, a venture capital firm with a focus on biopharmaceuticals, medical devices, diagnostics and related opportunities in human medicine. He serves on the boards of Allergan, Inc.; Cree, Inc.; Edwards Lifesciences Corporation; Elan Corporation PLC; and Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc. He also serves on the following non-profit boards: the National Cancer Institute Advisory Board; the James B. Hunt Institute; and the Research Triangle Foundation.
• Jeff Kearl – Early Stage Companies. Mr. Kearl is the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Stance, a company with an original point of view on socks. He is chairman of the board of Skullcandy, Inc. and serves on the board of directors of Needle and the non-profit board of Connect SDSI. Mr. Kearl is an entrepreneur and an angel investor and is a member of the investment advisory committees at Innoventures Capital Partners and Mercato Partners.
• John Major – Corporate Growth and Development. Mr. Major is the founder and president of MTSG, a strategic consulting business specializing in emerging companies. He is chairman of the board of Broadcom Corporation and serves on the boards of Lennox International, Inc.; Littelfuse, Inc.; and ORBCOMM Inc. He also serves on several non-profit and industry boards including the Rancho Santa Fe Foundation, the University of California’s Board of Science and Innovation, chairman of the advisory board of the Engineering School at the University of Illinois, Chicago, and chairman of La Jolla Institute for Allergy & Immunology in San Diego, California.
• William Thompson, Jr. – Corporate Leadership and Service. Mr. Thompson serves on the boards of Citigroup, Inc. and Pacific Life Insurance Company. Mr. Thompson is the retired managing director, co-chief executive officer and member of the board of PIMCO. He also serves on several non-profit boards including the United Way and the Pacific Symphony and with Mrs. Thompson, founded the Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders at the University of Missouri Columbia.
• William Wang – Enhancement of Economic Value. Mr. Wang is founder, chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Vizio, Inc. Mr. Wang also serves on the board of directors for the Segerstrom Center for the Arts and the advisory board of University of Southern California’s Viterbi School of Engineering.
“These individuals have been instrumental in helping their companies find opportunities in these times of unprecedented global economic uncertainty. We are pleased to recognize each of them as Director of the Year Honorees in 2012,” Della Grotta said.
In addition to its Director of the Year Awards, FCD creates opportunities for directors, CEOs and other senior executives to share ideas with their peers as well as with nationally-recognized experts in finance, governance and regulatory oversight in a series of breakfast and dinner meetings. Among its signature events are the Governance Outlook which forecasts the emerging governance developments for the coming year and its merger and acquisitions and private equity series of programs which examines the most recent and relevant transactions in the region with the directors, senior management and finance experts who participated in the transactions.
For more information about the 17th Annual Director of the Year Awards, please call 949.375.3323 or to register for this event, please visit the Forum for Corporate Directors website at fcdoc.org.
About the Forum for Corporate Directors
Founded in 1991, FCD is a non-profit business organization committed to promoting the highest standards of corporate governance and to increasing the effectiveness of directors, CEOs and senior level executives by anticipating important issues facing companies in today’s global economy and presenting peer-to-peer forums to share ideas and key strategies. FCD members include many of Southern California’s top business and corporate leaders. Corporate members include Abbott Medical Optics; American Vanguard Corporation; California State University Fullerton Mihaylo College of Business & Economics; DDi Corp.; Emulex Corporation; Local.com; Microsemi Corporation; Mindspeed Technologies, Inc.; Newport Corporation; QLogic Corporation; Quality Systems Inc.; SRS Labs, Inc.; and The Paul Merage School of Business at UC Irvine.
The mission of FCD is generously supported by its Leadership Sponsors: RiechesBaird and Stradling, Yocca, Carlson and Rauth; Legacy Sponsors: Grant Thornton LLP; KPMG LLP; Microsemi Corporation; and PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP; Heritage Sponsors: Bank of America/Merrill Lynch; Deloitte; Ernst & Young LLP; Latham & Watkins; Lockton Companies, LLC; Marsh Risk and Insurance; Mercer Health and Benefits; Paul Hastings LLP; and Union Bank; Sustaining Sponsors: Abbott Medical Optics Inc.; Haskell & White LLP; McGladrey; and The Paul Merage School of Business at UC Irvine; Supporting Sponsors: Allergan, Inc; BDO USA, LLP; Dorsey & Whitney LLP; Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP; Houlihan Lokey; [.]; The Orange County Register; and Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. Risk and Insurance.