Cengage Learning, a leading global provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions, today announced the international advisory board for Nineteenth Century Collections Online, a new global digitization and publishing program that brings together rare nineteenth century primary source content from around the world. The archive will include content from the “long” nineteenth century (1789-1914) – monographs, newspapers, pamphlets, manuscripts, photographs, ephemera, maps and statistics – much of which is being digitized for the first time. The advisory board, which consists of leading international scholars and bibliographers of nineteenth century studies, will help select content for inclusion in the digital archive.
“Our future success depends on our ability to make high quality content accessible and useful to students, instructors and researchers,” said Ron Dunn, President and Chief Executive Officer, Cengage Learning. “Nineteenth Century Collections Online is one of our largest and most ambitious undertakings, and we believe it will change the nature of research on the nineteenth century. We are excited to work with such a distinguished group of scholars to make that happen.”
Gale, part of Cengage Learning, has done extensive market research to help inform the selection, curation, and organization of Nineteenth Century Collections Online to ensure it reflects the needs of nineteenth century scholars and researchers. Overall, Gale has received feedback from more than 800 scholars and academic librarians, targeted for their nineteenth century research activities or their involvement with scholarly nineteenth century associations. Results show scholars are looking for comprehensive digitization of rare collections, including content related to key movements of the nineteenth century such as technological developments, politics, social change and immigration, as well as content from underrepresented regions such as South America and Africa.
The advisory board for Nineteenth Century Collections Online will work to ensure the program fulfills the needs of students, professors and researchers, and provides an in-depth, global view of the nineteenth century. The noted scholars and bibliographers on the archive’s advisory board include:
• Hilary Fraser, Birkbeck, University of London, Executive Dean, School of Arts; Director of Birkbeck’s Centre for Nineteenth Century Studies;
• Tatiana Holway, Independent Scholar, Author, Researcher, and Editor, specializing in 19th century social sciences;
• Dominique Kalifa, French historian, Professor at the University of Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne; Head of the Doctoral School of History and Director of the Centre of 19th Century History;
• H. K. Kaul, Founder and Director of DELNET- Developing Library Network (India);
• Jerome McGann, University of Virginia, John Stewart Bryan University Professor, and Founder and Co-Director of Networked Infrastructure for Nineteenth-Century Electronic Scholarship (NINES);
• John Merriman, Yale University; Charles Seymour Professor of History;
• John Unsworth, University of Illinois; Dean & Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science.
Nineteenth Century Collections Online is currently in development with the first modules expected to be available in spring 2012. For more information, please visit gdc.gale.com/products/nineteenth-century-collections-online/ or come to the Cengage Learning booth on the exhibit floor at The Charleston Conference.
About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning (cengage.com / gale.cengage.com) is a leading provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions for the academic, professional and library markets worldwide. Gale, part of Cengage Learning, serves the world’s information and education needs through its vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data, addressing all types of information needs – from homework help to health questions to business profiles – in a variety of formats.